Microsoft’s latest and most awaited operating system Windows 11 finally unveiled, and it looks really promising in terms of visual changes and feature set. The new Windows 11 offer a new start menu design, new folders icon, centered taskbar, a brand news Microsoft store, and Android app support on Windows 11. So if you want to check if your Windows 10 Laptop or PC can run Windows 11 Update, go through our quick guide below. Microsoft has launched a small PC Health Check app that lets you check the compatibility of your Laptop or PC for the Windows 11 update.
Windows 11 Price
Microsoft already announced that Windows 11 free of charge for Windows 10 Laptops and PC. So ideally you’ll be able to download Windows 11 for free on your device if it is running genuine Windows 10.
Please note: fresh installation may be chargeable.
When Windows 11 Will Roll Out
According to Microsoft, the new Windows 11 will start rolling out around November this year. The rollout will continue into 2022.
You can’t download the final version of Windows 11 right now, but there is a way to experience the new operating system slightly earlier. Microsoft starts releasing Windows 11 Beta for Insiders starting next week. So sign up for the Windows Insider Program and try the new Windows 11 beta version.
Windows 11 Hardware Requirements
While Windows 11 update is free to download, but Microsoft has set new minimum hardware requirements for Windows 11. In order to run Windows 11, your Laptop or PC must meet the following specifications. The device that does not meet this specification will receive a notification that an upgrade is not advised.
- Processor: 1GHz or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit
- RAM: 4GB or above
- Storage: Minimum 64 GB
- System firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable
- Display: 9-inch or larger display with HD (720P) resolution or more
- Security: TPM Version >= 1.2 and Secure Boot Capable = True
- Internet connection and Microsoft accounts: Internet connection to download and set up the PC. A Microsoft account is required for some features
- Security: TPM Version >= 2.0
- CPU Generation
Intel CPU Gen for Windows 11 Support
- Intel 8th Gen
- Intel 9th Gen
- Intel 10th Gen
- Intel 11th Gen
- Intel Xeon Skylake-SP
- Intel Xeon Ice Lake-SP
- Intel Xeon Cascade Lake-SP
- Intel Xeon Cooper Lake-SP
AMD CPU Gen for Windows 11 Support
- AMD Ryzen 2000 (not for all 2nd gen CPU)
- AMD Ryzen 3000
- AMD Ryzen 4000
- AMD Ryzen 5000
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2000
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3000
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3000
- AMD EPYC 2nd Gen
- AMD EPYC 3rd Gen
For more detail, Please check this Microsoft Official processor requirement list for Windows 11.
Windows 11 System Compatibility Check
In case your Laptop or PC meets the above-mentioned hardware specs, you need to run a Windows health check to keep your PC ready to install Windows 11 whenever it starts rolling out.
1. Download the Windows Health Check app (Free) From Windows 11 Website on your Windows PC.
2. Install the Windows Health Check app and launch it.
3. On the top, you will find a banner saying “Introducing Windows 11”. Click on the “Check Now” button to see if your Laptop or PC is compatible with Windows 11.
4. If the PC Health Check app tool is saying, “The PC can’t run Windows 11”, don’t worry. Most laptops and PCs keep the TPM disabled even if the module is present on the motherboard.
5. For that go to your BIOS/ UEFI settings and check the security and advanced section and find TPM (for Intel) / fTPM (for AMD) option. Then, enable it. Apart from that, enable “Secure Boot” as well.
6. Now, run the app and check if your PC can run Windows 11. If you still get the “PC can’t run Windows 11” message, then maybe your System not have the supported CPU or minimum requirement.
But don’t worry, there is another way to run Windows 11 on unsupported devices. Microsoft Will provide Windows 11 updates to Windows Insiders who don’t meet all requirements. Basically, users who are part of the Windows Insiders (Dev and Beta channels) will receive the Windows 11 update. You can also register yourself on this program using Microsoft Official website. Please note, but under the Windows Insiders program, you will not receive Windows 11 as a stable release.
So that is how you can quickly check the eligibility for free Windows 11 update on your Windows 10 PC.